Pharmacy technicians are regulated by the West Virginia State Board of Pharmacy.
Candidates must have passed the PTCB exam or the ExCPT test provided by the National Healthcareer Association. before registering to the State Board.
Competition for pharmacy technician roles in West Virginia is currently high.
West Virginia State Requirements
To obtain a pharmacy technician license in West Virginia, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED and must be proficient in the English language.
- Candidates may be expected to undergo a criminal background check, including having fingerprints taken. Candidates must not have had a history of drug-related crimes.
- Registered technicians must have completed formal training.
- Candidates must apply to the West Virginia State Board of Pharmacy. Include a passport photo with your application; and application must be notarized. Non-refundable application fee: $25.00
- Licenses must be renewed every 1-year at a cost of $30.00
West Virginia Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $13.00hr
PTCB Requirements for West Virginia Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in West Virginia:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in West Virginia, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in West Virginia is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.