Pharmacy technicians are not regulated by the Utah State Board of Pharmacy.
National certification is required to practice as a pharmacy technician. Utah State Board of Pharmacy has approved both the PTCB and ExCPT exams.
Pharmacy technicians must apply for licensure before practicing. There are numerous ways in which technicians can be trained. These include training within pharmacies under the supervision of a qualified pharmacist (though application forms must be sent in before commencing work) or formal education programs such as the PTCB test. Furthermore, candidates who have previously accrued 1,000 hours in another state may also be eligible to obtain their license.
Competition for pharmacy technician roles in Utah is currently high.
Utah State Requirements
To obtain a pharmacy technician license in Utah, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED and must be proficient in the English language.
- Candidates may be expected to undergo a criminal background check, including having fingerprints taken. Candidates must not have had a history of drug-related crimes.
- Registered technicians must have completed the PTCB exam.
- Candidates must apply to the Utah State Board of Pharmacy. Include a passport photo with your application; and application must be notarized. Non-refundable application fee: $100.00. Also, choose the correct form – whether you are applying for on-the-job training or whether you are applying with formal education completed.
- Continuing education is required by the State Board of Pharmacy – 20-hours of training each renewal period. One hour of this 20-hour period must be in law.
- Licenses must be renewed every 2-years.
Utah Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $16.17hr
PTCB Requirements for Utah Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in Utah:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Utah, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in Utah is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.