Pharmacy technicians are not regulated by the Texas State Board of Pharmacy.
National certification is required to practice as a pharmacy technician. This is required for registered technicians, but this does not apply to trainee technicians who are not registered.
However, some technicians who have been working for several years may be exempt from these requirements. The system in Texas offers more flexibility for those who have accrued years of experience in this field.
The PTCB exam is the approved national certification exam.
Competition for pharmacy technician roles in Texas is currently high.
Texas State Requirements
To obtain a pharmacy technician license in Texas, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED and must be proficient in the English language.
- Candidates may be expected to undergo a criminal background check, including having fingerprints taken. Candidates must not have had a history of drug-related crimes.
- Registered technicians must have completed the PTCB exam.
- Candidates must apply to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. Include a passport photo with your application; and application must be notarized. Non-refundable application fee: $41.00
- Continuing education is required by the State Board of Pharmacy – 20-hours of training each renewal period.
- Licenses must be renewed every 2-years at a cost of $80.00.
Texas Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $15.56hr
PTCB Requirements for Texas Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in Texas:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Texas, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in Texas is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.