Pharmacy technicians are regulated by the South Carolina State Board of Pharmacy.
Candidates are required to obtain both state and national certification. The State Board has approved the PTCB exam as the approved national certification exam.
The PTCB is the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board exam and, for the 2020 syllabus, includes 4 subject areas: Medications, Patient Safety and Quality Assurance, Federal Requirements, and Order Entry and Processing.
Competition for pharmacy technician roles in South Carolina is currently high.
South Carolina State Requirements
To obtain a pharmacy technician license in South Carolina, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED and must be proficient in the English language.
- Candidates may be expected to undergo a criminal background check, including having fingerprints taken. Candidates must not have had a history of drug-related crimes (background check fee: $52.00).
- Registered technicians who have limited roles and responsibilities must accumulate 1,000 hours of pharmacy-related work.
- Candidates are required to undertake State-approved training program – which may be the PTCB or ExCPT exam but may also be training guided by a pharmacy itself.
- Candidates must apply to the South Carolina State Board of Pharmacy. Include a passport photo with your application; and application must be notarized. Non-refundable application fee: $40.00
- Continuing education is required by the State Board of Pharmacy. This typically involves 10-hours of education as provided by either the ACPE or CME-approved course each renewal period.
- Licenses must be renewed annually at a cost of $15.00.
South Carolina Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $15.95hr
PTCB Requirements for South Carolina Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in South Carolina:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in South Carolina, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in South Carolina is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.