Pharmacy technicians are regulated in New Jersey.
Certification is, however, not required to practice as a pharmacy technician.
The New Jersey State Board of Pharmacy have approved both the PTCB exam and the ExCPT for candidates to take, if they wish.
Before commencing employment, candidates must first register with the State Board of Pharmacy.
Competition for pharmacy technician roles within New Jersey is currently high.
New Jersey State Requirements
To register as a pharmacy technician in New Jersey, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED and must be proficient in the English language.
- Candidates are expected to undergo a criminal background check, including having fingerprints taken. Candidates must not have had a history of drug-related crimes.
- Candidates are not required to pass either the PTCB or the ExCPT exam.
- Candidates must apply to the New Jersey State Board of Pharmacy and pay the non-refundable $50.00 fee. Include a passport photo with your application; and application must be notarized.
- Candidates typically complete training under the supervision of a qualified, licensed pharmacist.
- Continuing education is not required by the State Board of Pharmacy.
- Licenses are renewed biennially. The renewal fee is $70.00.
New Jersey Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $17.07/hr
PTCB Requirements for New Jersey Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in New Jersey:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in New Jersey, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in New Jersey is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.