Like most states, pharmacy technicians are regulated in Minnesota.
However, pharmacy technicians are not required to obtain certification to practice in pharmacies. Both the PTCB test and the ExCPT are approved by Minnesota State Board of Pharmacy to help train technicians to the highest professional standards.
Candidates may also practice as technicians if they have completed 480-hours of training under the supervision of a qualified pharmacist.
Minnesota State Requirements
To register as a pharmacy technician in Minnesota, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED (since Jan. 2013)
- Candidates are expected to undergo a criminal background check, particularly related to controlled substances.
- Candidates are required to understand state-specific legislation surrounding the safe use and dispensing of medicines to patients.
- Continuing education is required – 20-hours every 2 years.
- Non-refundable application fee: $135.00
- Renewal fee: $20.00
- License renewals with the State Board of Pharmacy are required on an annual basis.
Minnesota Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $15.42/hr
PTCB Requirements for Minnesota Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in Minnesota:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Minnesota, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in Minnesota is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.