There are two methods to become certified as a pharmacy technician in Maryland.
First, you can complete 160 hours of training. This approach does not require you to complete an examination.
Second, you can complete the PTCB or ExCPT exam – both of which are accepted by the Maryland State Board of Pharmacy.
Before you can practice as a pharmacy technician, you must first be licensed.
Maryland State Requirements
To register as a pharmacy technician in Maryland, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 17-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED.
- Candidates are expected to undergo a criminal background check – which costs around $38.00.
- Complete either 160 hours of practice or pass a licensed exam.
- From date of registration, candidates have up to 18-months to complete this exam.
- Non-refundable application fee: $45.00
- Annual renewal fee: $45.00
- To maintain the license, pharmacy technicians advanced must complete continuous education. This involves 10-hours after the first renewal and 20-hours after every renewal thereafter.
Maryland Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $15.24/hr
PTCB Requirements for Maryland Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in Maryland:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Maryland, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in Maryland is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.