Pharmacy certification is required in Louisiana.
Candidates must have passed the PTCB exam before they can be considered licensed and approved by the State Board of Pharmacy.
Unlike most other states, candidates must have demonstrated at least 600 hours with a licensed pharmacist.
Candidates must be at least 18-years old and must undergo regular, annual continuous board-approved training.
Louisiana State Requirements
To register as a pharmacy technician in Louisiana, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED.
- Candidates are expected to undergo a criminal background check.
- Complete 600-hours of practical experience with a licensed pharmacist.
- Pass the PTCB examination.
- From date of registration, candidates have up to 18-months to complete this exam.
- Non-refundable application fee: $25.00
- Certified pharmacy technician fee: $100.00
- 10-board approved hours must be completed each part as part of continuous education (CE)
Louisiana Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $14.68/hr
PTCB Requirements for Louisiana Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in Louisiana:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Louisiana, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in Louisiana is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.