Iowa State Board of Pharmacy requires that candidates who wish to practice as pharmacy technicians must have completed an approved course. Currently, there are two such courses available – from both the PTCB and the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). Either of these two exams is permitted by the State Board.
Candidates must be 18-years old at the time of application.
Iowa State Requirements
To register as a pharmacy technician in Iowa, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 18-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED.
- Candidates are expected to undergo a thorough criminal background check – including having fingerprints taken (though fingerprints are not required for candidates under the age of 18).
- Certification is required to practice in the state of Iowa – either through the PTCB exam or through the National Healthcareer Association ExCPT exam.
- Candidates must pay $40.00 application fee within 30-days of commencing work in a pharmacy, or $80.00 if sent more than 30-days.
Iowa Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $15.83/hr
PTCB Requirements for Iowa Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in Iowa:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Iowa, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in Iowa is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.