ABOP – the Alabama Board of Pharmacy – is the official licensing board for pharmacy technicians in the state of Alabama. Currently, ABOP requires that pharmacies must have at least one certified PTCB technician for every three staff in the pharmacy and per everyone pharmacist that works in this setting.
To prepare for the PTCB exam and receive a pharmacy tech license, candidates must first register with the Alabama Board of Pharmacy. Candidates are required to pay the mandatory application fee and submit all required documents to the state board. Candidates who have earned CE can use this credit toward their state requirements.
Alabama State Requirements
To obtain a pharmacy tech license in Alabama, the State Board has issued their own requirements for candidates to meet. These include:
- Candidates must be 17-years or older.
- Candidates must have earned a high school diploma or GED.
- Candidates are expected to undergo a thorough criminal background check.
- Candidates must pay the mandatory application fee of $60.00 and submit their notarized application.
- PTCB certification is NOT required to practice in the state of Alabama.
- To obtain the Alabama pharmacy tech license, candidates must have completed a State Board-approved course within 6-months of registration. Furthermore, candidates must submit evidence to this effect within 10-days of completing the course. Both the candidate and the pharmacy must keep records for at least 2-years.
Alabama Continuing Education Requirements
- Pharmacy technicians must complete three-hours of CE with 60-minutes of this training being a “live” credit hour.
- To renew pharmacy tech licenses, a further $60.00 must be submitted to ABOP every 2nd year.
Alabama Pharmacy Technician Average Salary: $15.56/hr
PTCB Requirements for Alabama Pharmacy Techs
The following requirements have been issued by the PTCB for candidates who wish to become pharmacy technicians in Alabama:
- Candidates must be at least 18-years old.
- Candidates must have earned a GED or high school diploma.
- Candidates must have a clean criminal record – with no felonies.
- Candidates must have completed a recognized PTCB course.
- Candidates must register and complete the application from on the official PTCB website. The standard fee is $129.00, though, due to COVID-19, this has been reduced to $115.00.
Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Alabama, candidates must complete CE – or continuous education.
- Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.
- Candidates must have completed at least 1-hour of this training in pharmacy law and regulations, and an additional hour in patient safety.
- PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.
- Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.
Please Note – PTCB Test Prep does its best to ensure that all information related to pharmacy tech licensing in Alabama is accurate and up to date. However, whilst we do our best to ensure that our details are as accurate as possible, at the time of writing, we do expect candidates to follow up with their State Board for any of the latest information that may have come to pass. If you notice any out-of-date details on this summary, please email us at email@example.com and we will review any issues brought to our attention and rectify any issues as soon as practicable.